Saturday, March 10, 2018

Two More Weeks

Just two weeks away from my first ever 40K tournament. Painting is coming along. In three and a half weeks I needed to assemble and paint a Leman Russ tank, paint three Infantry Squads, a Heavy Weapon Squad, a Command Squad, two Officers, and assemble and paint a Scout Sentinel. I've already done the tank. Below are the first Infantry Squad, the Heavy Weapon Squad, and the Command Squad.

I'm thinking of swapping out the Scout Sentinel for a second Roughriders Squad. This is because to do that I'll only need to assemble and paint two Roughriders, which I think will be easier than assembling and painting a Sentinel. I like to "mod-up" my vehicles and the other Sentinel had a bunch of stuff added (converted the driver, mad the supports for the additional fuel barrel out of plasticard, etc...). Today is the deadline for submitting lists, so I best make up my mind pronto!

Here is what I managed to finish up this week:



The lot of them - all old Tallarn figures from Games Workshop



The Infantry Squad



The Heavy Weapon Squad



The Command Squad - or, well, part of it... I have a fourth member of this team that's already painted. I need to finish up the officer yet. As his uniform is a bit different, I didn't work him into the production line-up for this week. I'll post the entire squad with the officer when he's finished.

Here is what the force I'm planning to use for the tournament in two weeks:

HEAD QUARTERS

Company Commander - PL 2
1x Company Commander - Frag Grenades -Warlord (30), Plasma Pistol (5), Heirlooms - Claw of the Desert Tigers (Power Sword 4) - 39 points

Company Commander - PL 2
1x Company Commander - Las pistol, Frag Grenades (30), Boltgun (1) - 31 Points

Company Commander - PL 2
1x Company Commander - Las pistol, Frag Grenades (30), Boltgun (1) - 31 Points


TROOPS

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points

Infantry Squad - PL 3
10x Guardsmen with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (40), Missile Launcher (20), Grenade Launcher (5), Plasma Pistol (5) - 70 Points


ELITES

Command Squad - PL 2
4x Veterans with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (24) - 24 points

Command Squad - PL 2
4x Veterans with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (24) - 24 points

Command Squad - PL 2
4x Veterans with Lasgun and Frag Grenades (24), 1x Heavy Bolter (8) - 32 points


FAST ATTACK 

Scout Sentinels - PL 3
1x Scout Sentinel (35), 1x Lascannon (20) - 55points

Scout Sentinels - PL 3
1x Scout Sentinel (35), 1x Lascannon (20) - 55points
OR
Roughriders - PL 10
6x Roughriders - Laspistol, Chainsword, Frag, Purebred Steed (48), 6x Hunting Lance (12) - 60 points

Roughriders - PL 5
5x Roughriders - Laspistol, Chainsword, Frag, Purebred Steed (40), 5x Hunting Lance (10) - 50 points


HEAVY SUPPORT 

Heavy Weapons Squad - PL 3
3x Heavy Weapons Teams - Lasguns, Frag Grenades (18), 3x Mortar (15) - 33 points

Heavy Weapons Squad - PL 3
3x Heavy Weapons Teams - Lasguns, Frag Grenades (18), 3x Mortar (15) - 33 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank - PL 10
1x Leman Russ Battle Tank (122), Punisher Gatling Cannon (20), 3x Heavy Bolter (24) - 166 points


Total Power Level 64 
Force Total 998 points

The points and PL reflects the one sentinel, two Roughrider squads option, which is what I'm currently leaning towards. 

This fills out a "Brigade" detachment and gives me 12 command points! 

The tournament is being held in a bar (Mana Bar - just four blocks from my house!) and the tables are apparently very small - 4'x3' - with players setting up at the short end and playing lengthwise - it's going to be awfully crowded in MY deployment zone!! 


Coming Soon to Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I got in a game of The Pikeman's Lament yesterday afternoon and I hope to post a game report later today, or perhaps tomorrow.

After that...? MORE TALLARN - Two more Squads to finish up, two officers, another command squad (including a heavy bolder) and either a scout sentinel or two more roughriders. 

8 comments:

  1. Great work as always! You paint so much better AND faster than I do! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fast work on more great looking Tallarns! Good luck with the rest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Playing IG ona 4x3 table should be ... interesting. Good for your Rough Riders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was thinking I might try out this Tallarn special "Ambush" Stratagem with all my fast attack units - but to do that I set them up within 7" of any table edge at the end of one of my movement phases - but more than 9" from any enemy models!? On a 3x4 table - what space isn't going to be occupied by enemy (or within 9" of an enemy) that isn't already occupied by guys surging out of my own deployment zone!?

      Delete
  4. I wonder if you'll see more template weapons. Or are there template weapons anymore? And are mortars any better now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no more template weapons in 8th edition. Everything that was a template weapon is just does a random number of attacks against the target unit. A flamer is Assault d6, for example. So if there is a unit within range it will do 1-6 attacks against the unit. Speeds things up. No more arguing about who is or isn't under the template or trying to find the most optimum angle to fire it at... or arguing over exactly where the template ends up when it scatters...

      Delete