Sunday, August 19, 2012

Vimy Terrain Update


I got a bit of work done fixing up the Vimy terrain over the weekend...

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


I still have some work to do on these but I'm pretty happy with how they're turning out so far. 


I went with Das for the sandbags because I already had some on hand. I can see what people meant be "brittle" hopefully they'll be okay as long as I store and transport these carefully. It's not like it's store terrain that will be used daily by people who invested nothing in it and just trash stuff... 


As this is the reverse slope of the ridge I thought I might do some patches of grass - as this side wouldn't have been so churned up buy the shelling. 

I was wondering if I should varnish the whole mess... just to give it a little extra protection against wear and tear. It would use up an awful lot of varnish. The stuff I use on the figures - which is truely matt is pretty damn expensive. I've used wood flooring varnish on some terrain pieces, but though it is called "matte" it still has a bit of a sheen to it... hmmmmmm... 

Well... That's one square deal with... I have three more to go to finish fixing up the Fourth Division's operational area... and the rest of those each have at least twice as much trench to do... and I need to make some bunkers... Oh and then I have three more divisions operational areas to complete... and the Fourth division had the shortest distance to go (and thuse the least number of terrain squares!?) 

Aye-yi-yi... What have I gotten myself into!? At least I have anther five years until the 100th Anniversary (whereupon I plan to stage the entire Corps' attack - MWA-HA-HA-Ha-Ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa....) 

7 comments:

  1. A crazy project that is most impressive! I would varnish. You will need to transport them to run this insane... errr... ambitious game and the extra protection will help prevent game-day crises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... that's kind of what I was thinking...

      Thanks Bob!

      Delete